Sunday, March 9, 2008

Leftovers

I deconstructed the leftover baked vegetables of squash and eggplant and made two new dishes. Jim is anxious to use up the leftovers in the refrigerator (so that we can go out and buy more food for the upcoming guests!)

I separated the squash and the eggplant. With the squash, which we thought wasn't as tasty as our American pumpkin, although it has a beautiful color and texture, I made a soup. I sauteed 1/2 onion in butter and added the squash, leftover orange juice, leftover ginger root, some water and vegetable seasonings, as well as white pepper. I used the "Purierstab" (gee I love that word, it means "Pureeing-wand") to mix it all and gave it a shot of cream. Delicious!

For the eggplant, I added the leftover cucumber, cubed, some of my fresh basil from the plant downstairs, as well as fresh thyme and dried oregano, leftover olives, leftover Bärlauch goat cheese and Jim's homemade goat cheese, olive oil, Balsamic vinegar, and leftover pretzel salt. Presto - Mediterranean Salad.

Sunday is a great day to work on using up leftovers because all the stores are closed.

No comments: